Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Introducing South Meets West

Seeing the number of blogs my friends have begun, I decided to start my own...and I've title it "South Meets West." The following story should clear up any questions about my choice:

Basically, being in a military family means moving. When we weren't oversees we were somewhere out in the northwest, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and such...in all the moving however there was never even a remote desire to be anywhere near the south.

Time to go to college came and where did I end up? I went to school in South Carolina. Even though I was in South Carolina, I determined I would never stay there after I graduated and I would never marry anyone from South Carolina...

My junior year In a professional speech class, I sat in front of this tall, blond guy...His name was Daniel, but as we never talked I didn't know anything more about him other than that he lived in Greenville. At the end of the semester we ended up on the same group class project. As the  project leader, I experienced all the stresses of trying to encourage my fellow classmates to contribute to a project most could care less about. Daniel was one of the few that actually helped out on the project, and I greatly appreciated it. The semester ended however, and everyone went home for Christmas vacation.

The next semester started and I was intensely focused on preparing for my junior recital and taking a large credit load...my life consisted of practicing, studying and working...nothing else. Every once in awhile In the midst of the craziness of the semester I would run into Daniel in the hallway (He had a class in the room across from my french class). We would say hello...and that was about it. Every once in awhile we would talk about school or the weekend, but nothing more.

Then came the facebook friend request...and all was history. Ok...not quite. ;) In March Daniel called my dorm phone and asked me out for the first time. (My roommates thought this was great) We talked and found out we had several similar interests and tastes...talked about our families...After the first date we continued to see each other and went out to eat a few times. A few weeks later Daniel and I were officially dating. So here I was, dating a guy that had been raised for almost all of his life in Greenville, SC...I was doing two of three things I said I would never do...

Long and short of it, Daniel and I were engaged the following January and married in August...and now I'm living in South Carolina...and I've done all three things I said I would never do. ;) Hence this blog is truly the story of the South meeting the West. We have had several adventures and I've had some culture shock for sure, but it's truly been a wonderful life!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I am so glad you started this, Brittany. Love your story of meeting Daniel! :)

    ReplyDelete